Land Navigation for Explorers
Get lost less with Uncharted's expert geographer and orienteering fanatic
- We are availabel throughout the year during all seasons. Appointments are scheduled on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Explorers, Individuals, Groups, Companies
- Skill Level:
- Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced.
- Schedule your training and indicate preference for online or in-person formats. Recurring training opportunities also exist in Mich., Ohio and Utah. Arrangements for coaching during an excursion away from home is also possible.
- Prices are comparable with community college classes and workshops.
- Sign up for a Free Consultation:
You want to explore the uncharted, but you need to improve your skills in navigating trails, difficult terrain, the backcountry or complex cityscapes. You don’t want to wind up lost. Whether you prefer one-on-one coaching in the field, online mentoring, or group sessions, you can improve your land navigation skills with Uncharted’s Land Navigation instruction. Our land navigation training formats include:
- one-on-one coaching in the field
- live online video mentoring
- in-person group instruction
- custom-made navigation challenge events
- custom navigation planning for an upcoming journey
How To Get Started
Schedule a free online consultation by filling out the form on this page. We’ll talk with you about your goals and which skills we should focus on for your training. We'll also offer some initial advice. We’ll then prepare a custom training plan just for you or your organization. You can choose any combination of the following skill sets:
- Map and Compass
- Terrain and Feature Interpretation
- Backcountry Navigation
- Urban Navigation
- Navigating without a Compass
- GPS Navigation
- What to do if you become lost
- Operational Navigation
- Orienteering Sport
Uncharted also offers training in Map Reading.
About the Instructor
Joseph Burkhead is Uncharted’s resident geographer. He has instructed land navigation skills and contributed navigation expertise to numerous groups including search & rescue, scouting and military units, K-12 school classes, adventure clubs, geography clubs, universities, and corporations. He holds a master's degree in geography and has instructed geospatial information systems (GIS) at Western Michigan University. The United States Air Force awarded Joe an Achievement Medal specifically for his mapping and geographic skills that "probably saved lives" during a complex operation. He is also an accomplished orienteering athlete and aviator.